Excerpts from the Old Record
These notes were taken from a Sunday School Register And Minute Book. The dates in time begin in April 1891. Each entry records the collection, the weather and the attendance. Many times no offering was recorded, sometimes it was recorded as none; occasionally it was stated: collection: forgotten. Sunday School was always opened with singing and prayer by the Superintendent, or a member, and closed by singing.
The first entry was April 20, 1891. Service was opened by the Superintendent with prayer and singing and closed by the Superintendent with prayer. The collection was 65, the weather was good. Rev. J. H. Gray gave the address. There were 3 visitors, 6 new scholars admitted, and a total of 106 present.
On August 9, 1891, Rev. A. M. Penland gave the address, there were 45 present.
No services were recorded from Oct. 1891 to March 1892.
March 7, 1892 the address was by Rev. T. E. Wagg. The collection was $3.15, the weather rainy; there were 30 present.
Sept. 25, 1892, the address was by R.H. Weaver. the lesson title was “The Lord’s Supper”.
May 21, 1893, Sunday School was opened by W. A. Wagoner; 55 present, lesson title: “Against Intemperance”
Beginning on July 1st, 1894, the Sunday School lesson was “The Birth of Jesus”. Then the “Visit Of The Wise Men”, the “Flight Into Egypt” and “The Youth Of Jesus” were the lesson titles continuing through the month of July. The entries continued through the winter of 1894-1895.
May 19, 1895, service was opened by Mr. Eller and the address was given by Mr. Eller. The Sunday School lesson: “Jesus Before Pilot”. On the next Sunday, May 26, Sunday School was opened by Mr. Harren. The lesson was “Jesus On The Cross”. (There were 27 present.)
The last entry in this register was dated Oct. 18, 1896. There were 14 present; the S.S. lesson was “Solomon’s Wealth and Wisdom”.
(Note) This register was found in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Cooper Parker. Mrs. (Bertha) Parker was Secretary of the Pleasant Grove Sunday School for a number of years. Dwight and Annette Chandler bought their property, which adjoins the church property, in the early 1970′s
Family names on the 1891 through 1896 enrollment included:
Harren (This was an earlier way of spelling Herron)
The pages of the register are worn and yellowed with age. It was not possible to read every name listed. The number in attendance, which had been carried forward, showed 100 in the adult department (40 male, 60 female) 25 in the intermediate department, (10 male
15 female) and 17 in the infant department; (7 male, 10 female) for a total enrollment of 147…. in 1891.